Claim: “Samuel Tweah named best African Minister in 2023.”
Source: Shine Liberia
Full Text: A Social Media blog, Shine Liberia on Saturday, May 13, posted that Liberia’s Finance Minister Samuel Tweah is named the best African finance minister by the African Leadership magazine.
Breaking news! Breaking news. 2023 best-breaking news for mama Liberia so far. Mama Liberia smiles after the Minister of Finance , Mr. Samuel D. Tweah was named the best Finance minister in Africa by African Leadership Magazine from his outstanding performance during the recent World Bank Presentation in Washington D.C. This melts mama Liberia heart ❤️- Even Joseph Jenskine Robert is currently smiling at the fact that people like Samuel D. Tweah continues to bring lots of accolades to the motherland. Let’s celebrate 🎉, forget about politics . Besides, you should know that there will always be agitations .
Tweah was appointed in 2018 by George Weah, a position he is currently serving.
African Leadership magazine, founded in 2008 with its headquarters in Portsmouth, United Kingdom is published by ALG Strategy Group Limited and focuses on showcasing the best of Africa to a global audience, telling the African story from an African perspective; while evolving solutions to peculiar challenges being faced by the continent today.
The African Leadership Magazine Best African Minister of the Year award recognises the African government minister who has made the most impact in improving the infrastructure, access, equality, and quality of primary school education on the continent, as well as ensuring gender disparity, access to education and reduced dropouts.
The Shine Liberia post attracted 524 reactions, 223 comments, and 45 shares.
Verification: Tweah was awarded by the African Leadership Magazine for his (Tweah) outstanding performance during the recent World Bank Presentation in Washing D.C.
TSM checked the full list unveiled during the African Finance Leaders’ Networking Cocktail, in Washington DC on April 13, 2023, at the National Press Club, in Washington DC, USA on the margins of the annual World Bank Group / IMF 2023 Spring meetings, which places Liberia’s Finance Minister at 21 places on the list of top 25 nominees. Below is the list of the top 25 nominees in order of position.
The ALM Top 25 African Finance Leaders 2023 are as follows:
- HE Ahmed Shide, Minister of Finance, Ethiopia
- HE Mrs Rindra Rabarinirinarison, Minister of Economic and Finance, Madagascar
- Dr Akinwumi Adesina, President, African Development Bank
- Dr. Patrick Ngugi Njoroge, Governor of the Bank of Kenya
- Mamadou Moustapha Bâ, Minister of Finance and Budget, Senegal
- Hon. Johnny Ohisa Damian, Governor of the Central Bank of South Sudan
- Zainab Ahmed, Minister of Finance, Nigeria
- Abdulmajid Mussa Nsekela, CEO, CRDB Bank Plc
- Dr. Adesola Kazeem Adeduntan, CEO, First Bank of Nigeria Plc
- Dr. Ernest Addison, Governor, Bank of Ghana
- Caroline Abel, Governor, Central Bank of Seychelles
- José de Lima Massano, Governor, National Bank of Angola
- Dr. John Mangudya, Governor, Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe
- Dr. The Honourable Renganaden Padayachy, Minister of Finance, Economic Planning, and Development, Mauritius
- Tony O. Elumelu, Chairman Heirs Holding
- Prof. Benedict Oramah, President, African Export–Import Bank (Afreximbank)
- Dr. Walton Gilpin, Managing Director, Rokel Commercial Bank, Sierra Leone
- Simphiwe Tshabalala, CEO, Standard Bank Group
- Lesetja Kganyago, Governor, South African Reserve Bank (SARB)
- Othman Benjelloun, Chief Executive Officer, BMCE Bank Morocco
- Hon. Samuel D. Tweah, Honourable Minister of Finance and Development Planning, Liberia
- Mukwandi Chibesakunda, CEO, Zambia National Commercial Bank (ZANACO) PLC
- Hon. Matia Kasaija, Minister for Finance, Planning & Economic Development, Uganda
- HE Adama Coulibaly, Minister of Finance, Ivory Coast
- John Rwangombwa, Governor, National Bank of Rwanda
Has he been named Finance Minister of the year? Yes! But not 2023.
Samuel Tweah was named African Finance Minister of the Year, in 2020. His name came on top of other Finance Ministers of Africa including South Africa, Ghana, Botswana, and Angola among others in a vote widely contested. His performance at the time was from many indicators, especially recovering from Ebola and COVID-19, with a strong driving force on the economy. Minister Tweah, according to African Leadership Magazine, stabilised the economy in the shortest possible time.
it is established through newspaper publications that Liberia’s minister of finance was awarded the best finance minister of Africa title in 2020. Key among those media publications is the Independent Probe
Conclusion: Considering our research, we can say the blog misled the public about Samuel Tweah being Africa’s best minister of Finance.
By Lee Monjue
This story was produced with the Centre for Journalism Innovation and Development (CJID) support.